Orpington Village Hall is proud to be a member of the Bromley Dementia Action Alliance and an active part of the Bromley Dementia Friendly Community. We received the 2019 “Orpies” award for the Most Dementia Friendly Organisation in Orpington, and this has only been the start to our projects and ideas for the future.
As it is now the case that one in three people born in the UK today will develop dementia later in life, it is critical that organisations, and communities, are better prepared to support their members in living with the condition and ensuring they have the best quality of life possible. Orpington Village Hall is dedicated to providing a facility that is inclusive and accessible to all, as well as working on projects to benefit and support those living with Dementia and their families.
Dementia Cafe – Monthly meet ups
Our DEMENTIA CAFE launched in September 2019 and now runs on the 4th TUESDAY of every month (Excluding December). For more information please see the events listing for the cafe. We always welcome any sponsorship for the cafe as well as any volunteers who would like to get involved. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR CAFE’s ARE CURRENTLY NOT RUNNING DURING THE COVID-19 CLOSURE OF OUR FACILITY. WE WILL UPDATE ASAP FOR RE-LAUNCH!
However, during this closure, we are still wanting to support our Cafe friends and visitors. We have put together an email-able pack of resources that may be useful to our cafe visitors as well as any new friends currently confined to their homes. Our Cafe volunteers would also like to phone any of our cafe visitors should you be welcome of a call! Please let us know if you would like to receive this information or a phone call from one of the team of volunteers. Please either call the halls on 01689891828 and leave your name and number, or send us an email to email@example.com
Dementia friendly facilities at Orpington Village Hall
- Signage – a range of in-house-designed dementia friendly signage has been produced and installed wherever appropriate. As a charitable trust with tight budgets, the guidelines and guidance provided on the Alzheimer’s website was invaluable in producing this suite of signage. Orpington Village Hall is happy to share the artwork for these signs with other organisations for free, please email to request the artwork.
- Toilet seats – all toilet seats have been upgraded to brightly coloured ones because this makes it easier for those with dementia to identify them.
- Dedicated waiting area – an area has now been identified for the specific purpose of allowing people to wait in comfort. This is also clearly labelled with a figurative sign.
- Staff training – dementia awareness training for all Orpington Village Hall staff has been made available.
- Communication and feedback – posters have been placed around the halls outlining the changes and requesting feedback from users of the hall.